I’m bundling up in the Windy City for this BookSparks 2015 Summer Reading Challenge novel, Pretty Baby by national bestselling author Mary Kubica.
About the book: Heidi Wood has always been a charitable woman: she works for a nonprofit, takes in stray cats. Still, her husband and daughter are horrified when Heidi returns home one day with a young woman named Willow and her four-month-old baby in tow. Disheveled and apparently homeless, this girl could be a criminal—or worse. But despite her family’s objections, Heidi invites Willow and the baby to take refuge in their home.
Read Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica
My Book Review: Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica is page-turning, psychological thriller told in first-person POV from three central characters: Willow, the teenage girl found on a train platform holding a baby; Heidi, the woman who brings Willow and her baby home to live with her; and Chris, Heidi’s husband.
In one plot twist after another, the narrative rumbles forward until every character you once thought you knew is forever changed by the events of the story. It’s hard to write a book review about a suspense novel; I don’t want to give anything away. I will say, themes of motherhood, loss, and loss of innocence are on (almost) every page and the two women central to the story will certainly surprise you. Enjoyed this read very much. Read it in one sitting.
About the author: Mary Kubica is the author of two novels, including Pretty Baby (2015) and The Good Girl (2014), which is a New York Times and USA Today bestseller. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, in History and American Literature, and lives outside of Chicago with her husband and two children. Mary enjoys photography, gardening, and caring for the animals at a local shelter.
Find out how it all began: READ 5th Annual BookSparks Summer Reading Challenge and My Travels Have Begun!
1. The Year My Mother Came Back by Alice Eve Cohen
2. The Grown Ups by Robin Antalek
3. Wishful Thinking by Kamy Wicoff
4. The Balance Project by Susie Orman Schnall
5 . Eight Hundred Grapes by Laura Dave
6. Worthy by Catherine Ryan Hyde
7. Pieces by Maria Kostaki
8. Summer Secrets by Jane Green
9. It’s You by Jane Porter
10. Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
11. Beautiful Girl by Fleur Philips
12. The Road Home by Kathleen Shoop
13. The Witch of Bourbon Street by Suzanne Palmieri
14. Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica
15. Anchored by Brigitte Quinn
16. Satisfaction by Andee Reilly
17. A Window Opens by Elisabeth Egan
18. Star Craving Mad by Elise Miller
Thank you, BookSparks!